Which is the best benefit to use?

There is no “best” benefit. Every benefit is different and every person has a different situation. I encourage you to do research on each benefit before making a choice.

I’m a veteran or want to use a sponsor’s benefits, what do I need to get started?

Print out the OC VA Handbook. There is a checklist of items that you will need to do such as apply for admissions to Odessa College, apply for benefits, and a checklist of items that need to be turned into the office.

I don’t have a copy of my DD-214. Where can I get a copy of it?

Most courthouses have a copy in their records. If you cannot find it there, print out a copy of Standard Form 180 (found in Forms & Information) and mail it to the address stated on the form.

I applied for benefits and have not heard from the VA. What should I do?

The Regional Office in Muskogee takes a few weeks to process applications. If you have not heard from them within 3 weeks, please call their office at 1-888-442-4551. Unfortunately, I cannot view the status of applications.

Is my tuition and fees paid for by VA as soon as I register?

No, VA benefits are not automatic. Tuition and fees are due at the time of registration, always apply for financial aid and set-up a payment plan to avoid being dropped from classes. The only exception is if the student is receiving Ch.33-Post 9/11 benefits at 100% and a Certificate of Eligibility is on file to show this.

What is my responsibility as a VA student?

Update any changes such a dropping/adding, complete withdraws, major changes, address/phone number changes within 5 working days to the OC VA Outreach Office and the Muskogee Regional Office.

Can I use my GI Bill® for the class(es) at Odessa College to pursue a degree at another college/university?

Yes, you can. Ask the Veteran Certifying Official at the college/university you plan to receive the degree from (Parent Institution) to send a Parent Institution Letter to the Veterans Outreach Office at OC (Secondary Institution). The letter must contain student’s name, the course(s) the Parent Institution plans to accept, and the name of the degree the course(s) will be to applied to.

Can I attend two schools at the same time?

Yes, you can. Remember a Parent Institution Letter will be needed for the secondary school.

How can I begin using the Hazlewood Exemption (Hazlewood Act)?

For more information about the Hazlewood Exemption (Hazlewood Act), click HERE or call Student Financial Services at (432) 335-6429. They have all the forms to be completed for this benefit.