Which class are you in? Click on the link below to get your information for your course.
SPECIAL NEEDS: Odessa College complies with Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you have any special needs or issues pertaining to your access to and participation in this or any other class at Odessa College, please feel free to contact me to discuss your concerns. You may also call the office of Disability Services at 335-6861 to request assistance and accommodations.
Expectations for Engagement Ė Face to Face Learning
To help make the learning experience fulfilling and rewarding, the following Expectations for Engagement provide the parameters for reasonable engagement between students and instructors for the learning environment. Students and instructors are welcome to exceed these requirements.
Reasonable Expectations of Engagement for Instructors
1. As an instructor, I understand the importance of clear, timely communication with my students. In order to maintain sufficient communication, I will
∑ provided my contact information at the beginning of the syllabus;
∑ respond to all messages in a timely manner through telephone, email, or next classroom contact; and,
∑ notify students of any extended times that I will be unavailable and provide them with alternative contact information (for me or for my supervisor) in case of emergencies during the time Iím unavailable.
2. As an instructor, I understand that my students will work to the best of their abilities to fulfill the course requirements. In order to help them in this area, I will
∑ provide clear information about grading policies and assignment requirements in the course syllabus, and
∑ communicate any changes to assignments and/or to the course calendar to students as quickly as possible.
3. As an instructor, I understand that I need to provide regular, timely feedback to students about their performance in the course. To keep students informed about their progress, I will
∑ return classroom activities and homework within one week of the due date and
∑ provide grades for major assignments within 2 weeks of the due date or at least 3 days before the next major assignment is due, whichever comes first.
Reasonable Expectations of Engagement for Students
1. As a student, I understand that I am responsible for keeping up with the course. To help with this, I will
∑ attend the course regularly and line up alternative transportation in case my primary means of transportation is unavailable;
∑ recognize that the college provides free wi-fi, computer labs, and library resources during regular campus hours to help me with completing my assignments; and,
∑ understand that my instructor does not have to accept my technical issues as a legitimate reason for late or missing work if my personal computer equipment or internet service is unreliable.
2. As a student, I understand that it is my responsibility to communicate quickly with the instructor any issue or emergency that will impact my involvement with or performance in the class. This includes, but is not limited to,
∑ missing class when a major test is planned or a major assignment is due;
∑ having trouble submitting assignments;
∑ dealing with a traumatic personal event; and,
∑ having my work or childcare schedule changed so that my classroom attendance is affected.
3. As a student, I understand that it is my responsibility to understand course material and requirements and to keep up with the course calendar. While my instructor is available for help and clarification, I will
∑ seek out help from my instructor and/or from tutors;
∑ ask questions if I donít understand; and,
∑ attend class regularly to keep up with assignments and announcements.