Students with Disabilities - What to do to Obtain Services
For new students to have services available on the first day of class, new students must request services at least three weeks before the semester begins.
- Apply for Admissions find out the appropriate document you will need to provide Odessa College to be admitted, then apply for Financial Aid.
- Bring appropriate documentation that is relevant to your disability, signed by a professional authorized to diagnose your disability. For tuition exemptions the student will need to bring the Certificate of Blindness or Deafness to have on file in the Registrar’s office for the process of tuition exemption while attending Odessa College.
- Make an appointment with the Office of Disability Services to find out if you need to take a placement test we require-TSI it is offered here in our Testing Center, you may prepare for the test by going to www.testprepreview.com if you plan to work towards an associates degree, or a level II certificate. When planning to take a placement test, please advise the OSP if accommodations will be needed, or if paper/large print tests will be needed several weeks in advance to allow the necessary time for special arrangements to be made.
- Plan to meet with ODS to register for the right classes and to request accommodations once you have tested, if needed, completed the application for Requesting Accommodations and other forms. We encourage students receiving services through the ODS to participate in the Student Learning Center’s Peer Mentoring Program, an application and waiver of confidentiality is included in the ODS packet. The student will need to be prepared to meet with instructors to discuss your needed accommodations, learning style and what helps you in the classroom setting.
- Once you have registered for classes, be prepared to pay or present information for payment by the appropriate agency sponsoring you before the payment deadline.
- Students are encouraged to communicate with instructors throughout each semester, keep up with their degree plan and use the tutoring and study skills services available to all students, for a positive and successful educational experience at Odessa College. Early registration is strongly recommended.
Attending students are encouraged to register during early registration for the next semester. Students may request accommodations as early as 3-4 weeks prior to the beginning of the semester, earlier whenever books on CD will be used.
For more information about services for students with disabilities, contact the Office of Special Populations at 432-335-6861, or you may send an email to email@example.com.
Why do we need official documents?
Documentation of your disability is the most important factor in determining the accommodations you will receive while attending Odessa College.
What is adequate documentation?
- Written proof of an existing disability.
- Current diagnosis of a disability, preferably within the last three years.
- Signed by a professional who is qualified to identify the disability.
- Provided on official, dated letterhead.
- Contains current recommendations for accommodations
Where do I get my documentation?
Documentation of disability can come from a variety of sources, including:
- Educational diagnosticians from school districts
- Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services
- Division for the Blind
- Division for the Hard of Hearing
- Medical doctors
- Veterans Administration
Request for Accomodations
My Responsibility Statement
Statement of Understanding
Exchange of Information Form